I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again… I’m a Google Fangirl and I love Hangouts on Air.
So, when Krishna De asked if I would be a guest on her Visual Content Marketing Show, to talk about how to use Hangouts to boost your visibility on the web, of course I said yes!
Krishna and I have been following each other around the Web since 2005, yet this was our first live meeting. I enjoyed our conversation and I was told my enthusiasm for the subject came through (thanks Stephan!).
Below the video I share a few additional thoughts about Google Hangouts on Air and links to a couple of the tools I use.
What Makes a Great Hangout?
We didn’t talk about what makes a great hangout and I think it’s important for you to know.
- First, prepare your content so you are confident about what you want to discuss. Remember, you’re live. While you may use slides or share your screen, at some point you’ll be talking directly to your audience.
- If you have a guest, meet with them in advance to prep them and/or let them know how the show will go.
- If you can, use the Comment Tracker app to highlight questions and comments by the audience. This allows you make the Hangout more interactive and brings your audience right into the video with you.
- Start your Hangout 15 to 20 minutes early (not broadcasting) to make sure everything is working properly, set up your lower third, and give your guests time to arrive and get settled before you click the Broadcast Now button.
- Most importantly, relax and have fun!
Three Thing I’ve Learned from Hosting Hangouts on Air
1. People like to see your face, that’s what makes Hangouts, or any live streaming video so powerful. The immediacy of live video cannot be beat for creating a deeper connection with your audience.
2. Technology doesn’t always work the way you expect. Practice and be prepared. Don’t freak out if something goes wrong. Do your best and your audience will forgive you.
3. In your niche, who do you admire and want to get to know? Invite them to be on a Hangout with you. Even if they don’t know you. Most people like to get the exposure for themselves and their business. The worst that can happen is that someone will say no. And, I guarantee if you reach out to new folks, you’ll meet amazing people, learn a lot and the number of opportunities for your business will increase.
Join the conversation on the Hangout Event Page
Get notified when new Adventures in Visibility Hangouts are scheduled
Ten Visibility Tips for Google Plus [#infographic] - guest post by Stephan Hovnanian
Have you jumped on to Google Hangouts on Air yet? Remember, it’s an adventure and your success is tied to how much you’re willing to experiment. Practice, play and have a good time!